Search This Blog

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Five Things.

   First. I'm going to get the angry part out of my post. Every day I read through my "follow" list, normally to no ill effect. Normally I'm in as good a mood (if not better) when I'm finished as I was when I started. Not so tonight. Tonight, I read Michelle's post. As I sit here typing this, there are literally tears in my eyes. I didn't know the man in her post, and I've never met Michelle in person. But it infuriates me that so many lives have been cut short for something so... I don't know what to call it. I'm not anti war. I'm not anti military. It just... Hurts. For him, for his family, for Michelle, and for the literally THOUSANDS of other people who have been injured - emotionally, physically, directly, & indirectly - by the goings on all those thousands of miles away. I saw a movie once, or read a book... I don't remember.... Anyway, in the "whatever", someone said "Young men fight battles that old men started, while the old men sit at home, warm in their beds, thinking they've done the world some great favor"... And it's true. An old man (or several old men in this case) started something that may never finish. How many lives is enough? I don't know what else to say. I just needed to get that off my chest. I'm sorry to those I offend, but I can't help how I feel any more than you can.
     Second. Now that I've said my piece on that. On to what I now call "Stupid Butterfly". I started trying to make this butterfly from Big Book of Tatting (yes, still on that book) as a distraction while I make the Rose Garden piece. All I can say is this is where I quit, and one of us has to be stupid, so it's the butterfly. Really, did you think I'd call myself stupid? I wish my camera would pick up the colors... It's altin basak & it's all kinds of shades of pinks & oranges & yellows... with white...

   Third. Yesterday, after my trip to the doctor (just a normal thing, nothing wrong), I went to Hobby Lobby. It's normally a 40 minute trip one way, so I don't get to go that often. I found my plastic pins! Some of you are members at Intatters, & may have seen the post by CarolIvy about her strivers, where.... I wish I could remember who was talking about her plastic pins. She wasn't the first person I'd seen that used those instead of regular or unrolled safety pins for blocks, patterns starting with chains, etc., but I'd never seen any in any store. I googled, searched, asked... Never found any. But I literally knocked them off the hook in the needlework aisle at Hobby Lobby yesterday. I also got all this stuff for right at $10!!! Not alot of people tat in my area apparently, & I got that pack of Clover Shuttles for $1.99. They didn't have a sticker, & if you're familiar with HL, you know that's how they ring things up. Every time I go they have ONE pack. I always get it, even though it's usually a different price every time. They guess. I explained on more than one occasion that I usually give around $3.50 for them, but they always mark them less. So I don't feel bad. Would you? :) I got the Aunt Lydia's to try out for my Christmas snowflakes... It was like $2 a roll, so I won't feel bad if I hate it, or if I mess up the tatting trying out sparkles - which I plan on doing this year. Also, the charms were 50% off.... So I grabbed a few to stick inside my snowflakes, or crosses, or whatever I decide.
 
   Fourth. I thought I was the ONLY person in the WORLD that was particular about my scissors!!!!Fox recently acquired a new set, and while reading the comments section, I noticed that Margaret said,..... "I hope you enjoy your sissors, mine are lovely and would not be without them, woo be tide anyone using them for anything other than thread." I get made fun of by my family & people who try to "borrow" my scissors all the time, so it makes me feel a little better to know I'm not the only one. Mine aren't Gingher, but I love them all the same.
   Fifth. This is where I am on it.... And so far, working it like an assembly line (flower center, flower, vines) seems to be the most efficient way of doing things; but I *am* getting bored. I'm also working on an edging for another shirt for Untatter. Pics of that when it's on the shirt...Someday. When this is done, I'm planning on starting up my Christmas ornaments & things of that nature for the year. I hate that I'll be starting in August, but last year I ran out of time! So wish me luck there....

2 comments:

  1. Dear Randa,
    Thank you for your kind, kind words when I posted about John. They meant the world to me. I would like to convey the kindness of everyone to his parents but I don't know if I'll be able to.

    Why did you quite the stupid butterfly? I think he's beautiful.

    And your rose garden is stunning, stunning, stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I only said the truth!! :)
    I stopped with that butterfly because it's so fiddley it just wasn't enjoyable. What I don't have a picture of is the pile of scraps that I cut off & started over. I'm pretty sure my left handedness has me doing it backward, but I can't figure out another way to do it. Eh... Maybe later! :)
    Thank you :) I like it too!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!