Search This Blog

Thursday, June 23, 2011

See? I *can* still tat :)

Since blogger won't let me read about half my follow list this morning, I'm forced to post! OH, what a terrible fate!! :) So, I thought I'd post some pictures of what I've been working on while I've been lurking around here in the computer world.
 I got this pattern from Ellen Lai (I believe that would be SingTatter, but I can't get a link to work!) a couple of months ago, but haven't tried it until the other night. It only took around 20 minutes for ME to tat, so that tells you how easy it was. It's almost exclusively chains, but it's suprisingly easy & enjoyable. I think I'll keep this one for me :)
 This is the center of MPD, already sewn to the purse I had to mutilate to get it on there. I'm having an issue with teal colored fuzz coming through into the thread as I sew it on, so I'm not sure if I want to continue with this project. It's laying on my counter "marinating" until I decide.
 The whole thing, not sewn on yet, just looking sad....
 THIS I am proud of. More proud of than just about anything I've done lately. It's YarnPlayer's "Arches" doily. It's so far pretty simple, but what I'm proud of is the size. I'm working it in some vintage #80 Star varigated thread. I love the purples. I have NO idea where I came up with all this thread. Probably Ebay when I bought something else. It usually comes with shuttles, so I imagine it came with my antique metal Boye...I have 2 1/2 balls of this color, some pink, & a whole ball of blue varigated that I can't come up with anything to use for. But I LOVE how it's working up! I've never been successful with DMC #80; maybe it's the thread, but most likely, it's that my tatting skills have improved since my last attempt at smallish thread.... It's been a couple of years so....
 Oh, how I'm going to miss this when its gone.... I love this thread, but it's Flora #20 so it won't be around forever :( This is a bobby pin flower. But I'm kinda burnt out.. So Hmm...
Do you think this looks like a pentagram?? I don't. But sometimes my eyes don't pic up shapes the way other people's do. My sister does. It's supposed to be a snowflake, but even I don't really see that. But I do like it. It's what Ive got going in my purse right now. I'll probably make earrings or something out of it, if I can figure out how to get that top ring to sit right :) It's Lizbeth #20. I think when I empty the shuttle I'll try it in some of my #80... oooo I'm feeling brave!
Ya'll have to understand I've had about 8 colors of DMC 80 ever since I figured out how to flip my stitches right. I always wanted to use it, but it #1 wouldn't tat well for me. I'm sure it was my technique. & #2, I would either break it trying to pull a ring closed, or break it trying to retro tat. I haven't tried to open a ring with it lately, but we shall see :) I truly hope my "skills" have just improved enough to let me use smaller threads.... I do love how truly "lacey" they look.
Enjoy your day!

4 comments:

  1. How fun- all of these things. I love the arches doily and the beautiful color. I'm glad you're so successful with the size 80.
    The Ellen Lai piece is so elegant and lovely. What will you do with it? Would it be possible to continue it and make a bookmark?
    It seems like a lot of work to sew on the MPD if you already don't like how the thread is coming through...
    It all looks so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, lots of pretties! I particularly like that first one (Ellen's). It is a great pattern.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you :) I wouldn't say I'm successful with it, just that I can use it now... 6 years later! :)
    I do love that little flower pattern - I think I'm going to make one more repeat (4 flowers) & stiffen it more. Maybe just sew it to a pink ribbon. I don't know yet :)
    yes, the MPD is getting harder for me to look at.... I'm thinking of scrapping the idea. Cutting the whole thing off & listing the doily on etsy or ebay.... I can't even stand to look at it!
    Randa*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi very pretty tatting! I just stopped by to say hello! I have to run now but it was nice getting acquainted with you! :)
    ~TattingChic ♥

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!