Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I'm Baaaacccckkkk....

So. After a week without tatting at all, I'm back. I started the last round of MPD 3 times in the last 3 days, & I *finally* figured out a better way to make my bobby pins. The one in the link is made by finishing the flower, then sewing it to the pin with 8lb strength "fishing line". Then sewing the center bead in the same way. It's time consuming, irritating, & the knots won't stay once it's finished. Not to mention it isn't very secure. The beads are too big as well.
After much thought & research on the subject, I came up with another idea. If you have any interest in using this method or doing the exact same thing I've done, go ahead. The pins I've been using are from Hobby Lobby. They're the ones with the pad on them specifically for decorating. I took a piece of sand paper (grit doesn't matter) & roughened up both the pad & a small place on the bead. You may not have to do this, depending on the type of glue you use - I used Industrial Strength E-6000 & that was what my directions said.  Notice the holes in the bead are to the sides. Doesn't matter which sides.



I glued the bead to the pin (I know, it's a tatting sin! but just keep reading)... That took 24 hours to dry. Not good for my impatient nature! While I waited, I made the flower. It's not my design - I got it from Easy Tatting by Lynn Morton I think. I haven't had to look it up, as I've memorized the pattern. I just added the beads. If you use this flower, when you close the center ring, don't pull it so tight it won't stretch a little.. Just enough to get it closed right.
Leave the tails pretty long, & sew one in. Run the other through the bead, & wiggle the flower down onto the glued on bead. It's going to be kind of tight, so you may have to sort of force it. Don't worry, the flower *will* go back into shape. When it's on there, wind the thread around the top part of the bobby pin several times, & back through one of the picots, then through the bead & back down through the picot on the other side. Then all that's left is to sew in the left over end. And there you have it, it's glued AND sewn on.
This is my favorite one. Sister claimed it. I like it because of the smaller beads....If you want to use fishing line or waxed cord or something else, I suppose you could. Wish I'd thought to take a pic of the back of the pin before my camera battery died for the day..... Threads are Lizbeth brown (medium or dark, can't remember), beads are randomly bought over the years :)

Pink & brown.... Can you tell I have a shuttle wound with brown thread?? This one will hit Etsy today most likely. My next experiment will be with "normal" bobby pins. I have one drying right now with a clear bead.
So - what do you think??

1 comment:

  1. These are lovely! I'd love to make some for my girls. We don't have a hobby lobby anywhere near here, can you show us a picture of the plain pin with pad?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!