Search This Blog

Friday, July 29, 2011

Idea in the Works... Opinions & Suggestions Most Welcome!

I've been searching on Etsy, Ebay, Artfire, & pretty much the Google Universe for a new sewing box/project bag/container for WIPs... I had in mind exactly what I wanted, but haven't been able to find it. And all of a sudden, I had *another* idea!
When you search "project bag" on Etsy, there comes up alot of patterns, fabric, & other things not really what I was wanting. But also, there are needle cases. Like little wallets of varying size & shape. Now at the moment my needles are in their original (somewhat tattered) cardboard cases in my stash box. I keep the one I'm using tucked down in a ball of inactive thread in my project bag. Not very safe, not very stable, & I have to hunt for it more than I use it. So I was perusing these little cases, thinking how neat it would be to have either one of them, or one of the hand turned, hand burned little jars also available.Then it hit me -
MAKE ONE SILLY!!! So I ho'ed & hummed around here, seeking inspiration. And now i have this idea - I want to make the outside out of block tatting, then put a piece of felt on the inside. Maybe fix a button or snap to it, but that'll come later. At the moment I want the outside done before I worry about findings, fasteners, insides, or decorations.
But I need help! Here's what I have - After making a few blocks of 6x6 stitches, I realized it would take forever to attach them. So I realized that a box of 20 rows of 20 stitches would make one side. Then another of the same side would make another. Joined together, they would be the perfect size. Problem solved. Except how on earth am I supposed to make a block that big? I tried 3 different times last night & can't get it to come up right. The chains just won't fit together like a regular, nice square block. Grr... So I was thinking I might try 4 blocks of 10x10.... But then, how on earth do I join them together? It looks wonky if I sew them together....
SO - I'm not gone off the world, I'm just working on this project. I still have the flower doily going, but this is consuming my whole brain right now.... Could ya'll please help me out?? :)
Enjoy your day!

1 comment:

  1. I would suggest making the fabric needle case and attach the tatting to the case, that is what I have done, might be easier that way and you can be more forgiving with your size if it fits exact or not.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!