Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

Just another Monday

No pictures today. Haven't done any tatting since I finished the barefoot sandals. Kind of need a break I think. Still only 2 motifs done on the 4th round of MPD.... I promise I'll go back to it this week. But I have some happy news too - I think.
I posted pictures of the necklace set I made for Sister here, at Intatters, & on my facebook page. I usually do that when I make something new that's worth posting. But yesterday a friend of mind asked me to make her one to buy! Yep, that's right. I'm selling something I made AND designed! Yep. My own design, hand made by me & someone wants to buy it. Well, in a different color, but they want it! I haven't worked out a price yet, & I still have to go to find some beads in brown instead of black. So I'm pretty excited about that.
Other than that, I don't really have any news. Haven't been anywhere or done anything around here because it's been nasty rainy weather.
But back to tatting. I want to take a poll of my large group (4) of followers ;) I know some of you are on Intatters & will probably see the conversation, but I'm curious about how you feel about copyright. Not as a whole, but let me give you an example.
Let's say I write a pattern. Then I post it online for free. But at the bottom I say I have copyright on it & that I don't want you reproducing the pattern. (Normal stuff) And then I say you can't sell the pieces you produce from it. At all.
Now. I'm not giving my opinion on the matter because it's still working on formation. Common courtesy vs. my right to work & all of that.....  I'm mostly just curious.  It doesn't really bother me one way or the other, because I have never sold anything online. Really at all. Mostly I make things & give them to people who ask for them. Gives me a reason to tat, which I enjoy.But I keep thinking about this issue, & whether a person really has a leg to stand on. I know there are a few people who blog & post patterns on their blogs, & some of them have Etsy or Ebay stores as well & according to said people have had violators of this wish removed from their respective sites. Seems they couldn't if they didn't have a legal leg to stand on, right? But at the same time if they don't actually have a legal copyright on the pattern... Ah it just turns into muddy water here for me. What do ya'll think??
Enjoy your day :)

2 comments:

  1. It's very generous of you to share your pattern. Putting copyright with the usual (make for yourself but don't sell) will protect you to some degree but I think you would have to be willing to watch and "confront" those that do otherwise. I suspect you'd be in the right and most would back down.
    Copyright is tricky stuff. Are you thinking of starting a business? If not, why not make it Creative Commons. You get credit for the design but anyone can use the pattern for their purposes. You will always be the author/creator no matter what.
    Of course, I haven't put a design out myself so I'm just probably full of hot air! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle :) No, I won't be starting a business (yet) & I haven't published a pattern. It was more of a hypothetical thing. I've been reading up about it though, trying to form an educated opinion on the subject.... That's pretty much the gist of it. If I put a design out it'd be for public use, but I *can* see why a person would say they don't want you to sell things online, especially if they have an etsy or ebay store. Their living & all. Hmmm... :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!