Search This Blog

Sunday, May 1, 2011

What a Week it's been!

After I posted last, I've been both amazed & broken hearted at the things going on around me. Seems like everywhere there is both heartbreaking devastation & amazing acts of kindness. I love where I live - I've been other places in this world & have never run across a group of people so willing to put aside differences & help one another in times of need. And oh, what a time of need it is today!
So far in Alabama there are over 200 deaths & I don't know anyone who doesn't at least *know* someone who hasn't lost a loved one, be if friend, relative, or close family. It breaks my heart. The same goes for lost homes. I can't imagine climbing over the rubble of my house, looking of what's left of my daughter's baby pictures, going to the local church for donations so she has a diaper to wear today....
But at the same time, the outpouring of love & faith in this community & those around me makes me truly glad to be a part of this area. To know that no matter what, we can come together & make good things happen in such a terrible time gives me hope for the whole world. I know this set of storms didn't do near the damage of things like the recent earthquake & tsunami in Japan, but to me it's just as serious. Regardless of where or how many people were hurt, there was a massive loss of life & home. Maybe it's because it's so close to me that it hurts so much, but I feel like no one has the right to say we need less or more because of numbers or location. To me it's simple. There are people who need help - reach out & lend a hand somewhere. ANYWHERE. Just remember you're human too & you may need the help someday!
And be Thankful & send up a prayer. If you're reading this right now, you're lucky enough to be alive & have at least internet access, if you don't have anything else.
Enjoy your day

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!